Wednesday 10 April 2013

Task 2b reflective writing - Journal Writing Experience


At first I started making brief logs in my journal of what I did, a short evaluation with some reflection, but without questioning. But when I had more time I went over what I had log and started to question my day. Considering how I felt, my mood, questioning my feelings and the fatigue that is sometimes there but ignored; as well as thinking about the mood, feelings and the fatigue of others and how does this affect my practice?

Recently at my practice we had an Ofsted Inspection and during this time the atmosphere of the practice was very much a live, the emotions, mood, the stress, anxiety, the excitement and the vibrant strength of a team pulling together. But was also obvious was the aftermath of fatigue and exhaustion of the pillars of the practice. Although, luxurious donuts were on the menu the next day and dinner the following week, to celebrate the good achievement; it did make me want to question the objective of an Ofsted Inspection. Questioning some of the requirements by Ofsted; the purpose and its impact on similar practices?  Considering it from a parents and a teacher’s point of view? Even though I do not plan to dive too much into this at this time in relation to Ofsted, it did make me think and raise questions that I may like to reflect more on at a later date looking at other practices and the fatigue that Ofsted may bring.

As I continued to read through the logs of my journal; questioning my day? I started to think of some of the lessons I have covered at short notice at my current practice and whiles working as a supply Teacher Assistant.  I also started thinking of previous supply teachers coming into the practice where I have previously worked and how my perception of them has now developed and in some respect changed due my experience becoming more knowledge.  Whenever I have been asked to cover a class, at first I feel a little apprehensive, not knowing what to expect, how the children will respond, yet at same time I welcome, enjoy and thrive on the experience.  Reading the names of the children can be a challenge in itself working in a multicultural school, phonics often do not apply and many names can be tricky words, the odd laugh can be expected when reading the register.  The children most of the time will know more about the school and lessons than you, this can have its pro and cons. Bright children can use this to their advantage to push the boundaries when having a supply teacher. I say ‘bright’ and not a ‘behaviour problem’, because bright children have a range of abilities from the Special Educational Needs, the mischievous to the Gifted and Talented.  Having a brief guide of the school/class day, resources and procedures makes a difference.  As well as having the odd reward for the most challenging class, some examples of writing, a bulk of questions ready to pull from, to engage, encourage thinking and to pull ideas from the children, especially if you are covering a class of an unfamiliar subject because often the children will know more than you, although you could do a class research of the subject if needed, either way engaging the thinking of the children often manages the behaviour.  So on reflection I would like start to bank some questions, explore and extend the questioning within my practice, especially whiles covering an unknown class to continue to see its effect and the afterschool clubs that I am in the process of starting. My appreciating of supply teacher’s has gone up and has made me think what support my practice could offer to ease any nerves, make them welcome and improve the quality of overall teaching.

I have also started to create a diagram to compare my average week to last year, plus compare the supply days at different schools/practices.  So far I have found writing a brief log/list of events useful when not having much time or feeling a little fatigue after a day’s work. Evaluating my week when I have more time, considering how I felt, mood, good and bad points. I have looked at different days from the perspective of another person, considering a day when I may have had a professional disagreement. I may look at this day again but from an object’s point of view - the impartial bystander.   Blogging on other people’s blog is something I haven’t got into as much as I would have liked, although I see the benefits. This is something I plan to improve over the next few weeks and get into a routine of doing. I have looked at AdSense advertising and this is something I intend to look at in more depth, weighing up the pro and cons, as I do plan to use at a later date. Furthermore I have also started learning about MySQL and PHP databases, and how to imbed it into a website to improve my computer skills, using YouTube as a self-training resource.  I will blog on how I get on with AdSense, MySQL and PHP databases. 

No comments:

Post a Comment